Saturday, June 30, 2012

Temples or Tabernacles?

"Go to David My servant and say, 'This is what the LORD says: You are not the one to build Me a house to dwell in. From the time I brought Israel out of Egypt until today I have not lived in a house; instead, I have moved from tent to tent and from tabernacle to tabernacle. In all My travels throughout Israel, have I ever spoken a word to even one of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd My people, asking: Why haven't you built Me a house of cedar?' 1Ch 17:4-6 HCSB

I am going to do some conjecturing again for those of you who may read this blog with some regularity. Understand this is opinion. I am not going to say God showed me this. I am going to say I think I am on decent ground for the conjecture.

God allowed Solomon to build the temple and during the Millennium He will allow Israel to rebuild a temple and restore some of its sacrifices but in the end of the Revelation this declaration is made: "I did not see a sanctuary (temple) in it (the New Jerusalem), because the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its sanctuary." Rev 21:22.

Temples are too stationary and they tend to become objects of worship turning peoples’ attention away from who they should be worshipping.

Temples also tend to tie people down because they need constant upkeep and maintenance again turning attention away from those things that are truly necessary and pleasing to God.

Note if you will that during David's reign he constructed a tabernacle (tent) to house the ark of the covenant and during that time it appears the ark was visible to the priests who ministered not only to it but before it in constant praise and worship. When Solomon built the temple the ark went back into secrecy behind a veil with only the ends of the poles used to carry it being seen (2 Chron. 5:9).

In the book I am writing I make this declaration: "Eternity is the only thing that can contain the glory of God." My wife had an observation once: "If God ever quits creating He will come to the end of Himself." In other words God has no borders or boundaries because His glory is ever expanding.

Ever wondered why the angelic hosts, the elders, and the sacred beasts described in the Revelation are constantly falling before the throne and crying out "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts?" They were doing that before creation began and they continue doing so to this very moment. Is it because they are programmed to do so? I think not.

I believe it is because of the continuing expansion of God's glory and magnificence. God is moving on to this day. A temple ties Him down. A tabernacle (tent) is far more suitable to His nature because it is much easier to lengthen the cords and strengthen the stakes of tent when expanding than it is remodel a temple.

Besides we are called the temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 3:16) and the dwelling place of God (Eph. 2:21, 22). Jesus even referred to His body as a temple (John 2:19, 21).

God is into portability.

Need I remind you that God has said: "In that day I will restore the fallen booth (tabernacle, tent) of David: I will repair its gaps, restore its ruins, and rebuild it as in the days of old..," Amos 9:11?

Isaiah said: "Then in the tent of David a throne will be established by faithful love. A judge who seeks what is right and is quick to execute justice will sit on the throne forever."Isa 16:5

Nothing man has made can ever match the glory of God. His glory is revealed in us and try as we might to build structures in praise to Him He still prefers the beauty of His creation and its ability to move with Him wherever His adventurous heart and mind leads Him.

Don't get hung up on building temples. Learn how to be one so you can travel and carry His presence with you as you journey with Him through all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment