Saturday, May 25, 2013

Thinking about our "Father"

I am reflecting on the Lord's Prayer (Disciples Prayer) in Matthew 6 and the phrase "Our Father." There are two words in the New Testament related to this subject.

These entries come from Vine's Expository Dictionary of the New Testament(I have selected definitions that spoke to me) :
1. Abba

is the word framed by the lips of infants, and betokens unreasoning trust; "father" expresses an intelligent apprehension of the relationship. The two together express the love and intelligent confidence of the child.

2. pater from a root signifying "a nourisher, protector, upholder" is used (a) of the nearest ancestor, (d) of the nearest ancestor,metaphorically, of the originator of a family or company of persons animated by the same spirit as himself, as of Abraham, Rom_4:11,

Where I could go with just those few thoughts. But for now I just want to let them sink in.

Let me know what you think about this. I would love to hear from any of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment